In Room 1 we are learning to Self Manage our learning. Part of this is completing our Daily 5 for Literacy.
Make sure you fill in your checklist each day and get a buddy to check you off. Remember to have a person check you off you need to have worked with them or shared your work with them and you need to check of with a different buddy for each task.
Reading to Self
This could be Drop Everything and Read (D.E.A.R.), Read Theory, Epic Books, or Kiwi Kids News. You could read the newspaper or a book from the library corner. Sometimes Mrs Moore will set you a text to read before coming to work with her and this will be part of Reading to Self.
Reading to a partner
Buddy up with someone you know you can work positively with.
Share a page or two of the book that you are reading (this could be your own library book, a book from the class library or a book from somewhere else). Be ready for your partner to ask you questions about the characters, the setting, the events of the story or what you think may happen next.
Listening to Reading
Use the class iPod, head to Storyline Online, listen to a School Journal or Junior Journal story or article, listen to a Ready to Read story or use the iPads and log in to Sunshine Online.
Working with Words
Practicing your individual or class spelling words. Remember that your lists are in your notebook and you will be buddy tested on them.
- make a word search or make a crossword
- find your least and most valuable word by doing Spelling Addition
- write your words in morse code
- spell your words using the phonetic alphabet
- take on the Roll-A-Word challenge
- do a practice test (enter your words from your list) and then complete one of the activities on Spelling City
- ABC order
- finger spell your words using NZ sign. Spell your words to a buddy and see if they can spell your word. Ask your buddy which word they think you finger spelt the best and get them to video you on an iPad then flick it to Miss Lester so she can add it to your Drive
- Silly Sentences
- Words in a Word
- 30 second words - create a TV commercial using all the words from your list
- Secret Agent words
Working on Writing
This could be working on writing tasks (on your Drive or Google Classroom) or doing some of your own writing.
Remember to check out the writing challenges for the week over at the writing table.